Anuvasana Basti is a traditional Ayurvedic treatment that involves administering medicated oils or ghee (clarified butter) into the rectum of a patient. It is one of the various forms of Basti treatments in Ayurveda, which is a system of traditional medicine that originated in India.
The word “Anuvasana” is derived from Sanskrit, where “Anu” means “after” or “follow” and “Vasana” means “to dwell” or “to stay.” Anuvasana Basti is typically done after a preparatory procedure called “Sneha Basti,” which involves administering a mild oil-based enema to prepare the colon.
Benefits of Anuvasana Basti Treatment:
Anuvasana Basti treatment in Ayurveda is believed to offer several potential benefits to individuals when administered appropriately by a trained practitioner. Here are the top five benefits associated with Anuvasana Basti:
- Nourishment and Rejuvenation: Anuvasana Basti involves the use of medicated oils or ghee, which are rich in nutrients and therapeutic properties. When introduced into the body through the rectum, these substances are believed to nourish and rejuvenate the tissues, promoting overall vitality and health.
- Tissue Healing: The medicated oils or ghee can help in healing damaged tissues, particularly in the lower abdomen and pelvic region. This can be beneficial for individuals suffering from conditions such as haemorrhoids, anal fissures, or inflammatory bowel diseases.
- Balancing Vata Dosha: Ayurveda recognizes Vata dosha as one of the fundamental energies in the body, responsible for functions related to movement and sensation. Anuvasana Basti is often used to pacify and balance an aggravated Vata dosha, which can be associated with various health issues such as anxiety, insomnia, and digestive disturbances.
- Constipation Relief: Anuvasana Basti has a lubricating effect on the intestines, making it a valuable treatment for relieving constipation. It helps soften the stools and facilitates their passage, promoting regular bowel movements.
- Supporting Gastrointestinal Health: This treatment can support gastrointestinal health by soothing and calming the digestive tract. It is sometimes recommended for individuals with conditions like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) to reduce inflammation and discomfort.
Right time to perform Anuvasana Basti treatment:
The ideal time to perform Anuvasana Basti treatment in Ayurveda is generally during the afternoon, specifically in the early part of the afternoon. This timing is believed to be optimal for allowing the body to absorb and benefit from the therapeutic properties of the medicated oils or ghee used in the treatment.
It’s important to note that Ayurvedic treatments like Anuvasana Basti should be done under the guidance and supervision of a qualified Ayurvedic doctors to ensure safety and effectiveness. This treatment is part of a holistic approach to health and is often combined with dietary changes, herbal remedies, and lifestyle modifications to promote overall well-being.
In conclusion, Anuvasana Basti is a vital component of Ayurvedic therapy, practised at Wellness centres in Prayagraj involving the introduction of medicated oils or ghee into the rectum to address various health concerns. This treatment offers multiple benefits, including nourishment, tissue healing, dosha balancing, relief from constipation, and support for digestive health. The ideal time for Anuvasana Basti is in the early afternoon, allowing the body to absorb the therapeutic properties effectively. However, it’s crucial to emphasise that this treatment should be administered by a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner who can customise it to an individual’s unique needs and constitution. When combined with dietary and lifestyle adjustments, Anuvasana Basti contributes to overall well-being and vitality.